Wednesday, November 24, 2010

VALS Survey

The Strategic Business Insights online VAL Survey has deemed me as an experiencer / striver. The aspects of an experiencer that I agree with is that I seek variety and excitement, savoring the new, the offbeat, and the risky. Also I find an outlet in exercise, sports, outdoor recreation, and social activities. The part that I do not agree with is when the website states, "Experiencers are avid consumers and spend a comparatively high proportion of their income on fashion, entertainment, and socializing. Their purchases reflect the emphasis that they place on looking good and having "cool" stuff." I am not an "avid" spender, I am an avid saver. To me this statement projects the image of a self-centered person and in my opinion, I am a level headed individual who is saving money for a rainy day and not drawn in by the fake world of advertisements. The only statement that I agree with about the striver is that they are motivated by achievement, other than that I believe that the striver personality does not suit me. "Strivers are concerned about the opinions and approval of others. Money defines success for strivers, who don't have enough of it to meet their desires. They favor stylish products that emulate the purchases of people with greater material wealth. Many strivers see themselves as having a job rather than a career, and a lack of skills and focus often prevents them from moving ahead." This does not describe me at all!
The VAL survey suggests that my type of personality spends money as soon as they receive it on the latest gadgets and fashions. "Strivers are active consumers because shopping is both a social activity and an opportunity to demonstrate to peers their ability to buy." Their impulsive attitudes lead to impulse purchases. The survey suggests that my personality type is obsessed with the latest fashions and technologies and will readily go out and buy the "new" Iphone 4G after only a meer two weeks after purchasing the Iphone 3G. My age demographic would consist most of strivers and experiencers because of their large disposable incomes based on living in the "rich" North and being obsessed with having the latest fashions and technologies. It is unusual to find a high school student in the North who doesn't have a part-time job and seeks acceptance among their peers. Two of the fifteen basic advertising appeals that would suit my personality types are the need for prominence and the need for attention. The reason I chose these two appeals is the fact that strivers and experiencers are impulsive attention seekers that are searching for compliments from their peers about either their wardrobe or their belongings. The need for prominence and attention go hand in hand because the attention seekers desire to be admired and respected for their high and prestigious social status. This is a great description of the average teenager in today's society.

2 comments:

  1. I found that both the results of my VALS survey and my reactions to them parallel your own. I wonder why impulsive consumers are connected with those seeking excitement. In my experiences, the greatest excitement is that of which you create yourself, not what money generates. Do you feel the same way? There is a certain amount of accomplishment in achieving excitement upon your own power, it seems to elevate any elation.
    I found myself at a loss of how to describe our demographic and found you to have put it perfectly. Our demographic has large disposable incomes and are too used to having everything handed to them by parents in the "rich" north to worry about the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an Experiencer and a Striver too !

    ReplyDelete