Sunday, January 23, 2011

VALS Survey and the 15 Appeals

The survey tells me that I am an Experiencer and secondly an Innovator. For the most part I do agree with the surveys results because I do enjoy having high end products and I do seek variety in life. My interests and hobbies are all types of sports and exercise related activities and I would like to believe that I can take on a leadership role while displaying a positive and intriguing personality. I however disagree with the fact that I put an "emphasis" on looking good or having cool things because there is a clear difference between enjoying having nice things and needing them.

An Experiencer is a young, self-motivated consumer who buys on impulse, searching for new and exciting things. They spend a lot of money and they spend it frequently. This survey is also very conflicting in the sense that it says I buy things to show off my vanity but at the same time do not buy them to show off power or status but as an expression of taste and independence. I don't see how I can do both.

There are a few appeals that stand out in relation to my results and they are as follows:

The need for affiliation

The need to achieve

The need to dominate

and the need for attention.

At first glance they seem to point to the conclusion that I have the need to be a jerk or arrogant human being but I suppose in order to be an individual in this world you have to say and do things not everyone will support. I think the ads that appeal to me most are ones that are satirical, clever and also ones that promote a positive message. Provocative and violent ads are for the narrow minded in my eye, and I do not consider myself part of that demographic.

No comments:

Post a Comment